Questions and Answers
Here are some frequently asked questions and answers about ClimateHero, our service, and why we do this
Carbon offsetting varies greatly in price between projects, depending on the type of certification, the volume, and the supply and demand. ClimateHero offsets large volumes for all of our Climate Heroes and constantly optimizes a portfolio of different climate projects that all Climate Heroes share. Therefore, we can offer a stable price over time even though new climate projects will be added and others closed.
The monthly fee is based on your calculated carbon footprint and is divided into four categories:
- Climate Hero (<2 tons CO2e) – €3 / month
- Climate Friend (2-5 tons CO2e) – €6 / month
- Climate Cheat (5-9 tons CO2e) – €9 / month
- Climate Villain (>9 tons CO2e) – €12 / month
Your payment is secure. It is handled in encrypted form by Stripe, the world’s third largest payment provider, established in 120 countries and handling several million transactions every day. Your credit card details are never visible to ClimateHero or third parties.
ClimateHero’s goal is to ward off the climate threat by educating and helping the planet’s inhabitants to decrease their carbon footprint. We believe that this mission is performed better in the format of a fast-growing digital start-up than through yet another non-profit environmental organization.
ClimateHero is completely without political or ideological affiliation and is thus not dependent on any contributions or anyone else’s agenda to develop the service. Instead, ClimateHero has taken a corporate form and has as its sub-goal the aim to generate its own revenue. Revenues are reinvested in the business to develop the service and finance marketing in order to get more people to understand and decrease their climate impact.
So far, the revenue generated does not cover all costs, and the company has a net negative result and currently relies on the capital invested by the company’s founder from his own pocket. In the longer term, we hope to be able to show a net positive result. However, dividends to the owners will never be prioritized over investment in spreading the service globally and solving the climate crisis.
ClimateHero is run by environmentally conscious entrepreneurs trying to do what they can to help tackle the defining issue of our generation. The first service that has been launched to heed that call is ClimateHero’s Climate Calculator, whose purpose is to help the planet’s inhabitants easily understand their climate impact and take smart steps to reduce it.
The service is run through the Swedish company Climate Hero AB, which was founded in 2017 for the Swedish market and is now expanding internationally to reach as may of the planet’s inhabitants as possible.
The founder, main financier, and chairman of the board is Robert Sabelström, who has 10+ years of experience in digital innovation and sustainability issues. The idea for ClimateHero came to Robert when he was working with environmental issues in Poland and got a first hand look at the negative effects from inadequate recycling systems and large-scale coal combustion.
These are the main points of the agreement that apply to the use of the ClimateHero Climate Calculator and carbon offsetting:
- With the ClimateHero Climate Calculator you can quickly and easily calculate your carbon footprint and get help to decrease it, both through lifestyle changes and climate compensation.
- If you choose to offset with ClimateHero, then a fixed fee according to the price list is drawn from your credit card every month, which offsets 200% of your estimated carbon footprint.
- You may at any time update or terminate your offset subscription with a 1 month notice.
- ClimateHero strives to maintain stable low prices for carbon offsetting. Price adjustments occur at most once per calendar year and only if the market situation for climate projects changes significantly.
- Once in a while you may receive emails from ClimateHero with news and climate-smart tips. In each email there’s a link enabling you to unsubscribe from future emails.
- ClimateHero respects your personal information and does not share it with third parties, except for specific cases where it is required to deliver ClimateHero’s own services or to comply with laws and regulations.
You can see the whole user agreement here: https://climatehero.me/en/user-agreement/